iPad 1:1 Program Overview
iPad Distribution Information:
iPad Distribution Makeup Date is the first day of school, August 10. Please go to Room 23, SWAT Headquarters/Help Desk right after school at 12:30 PM to receive your iPad.
New Students and Incoming Freshmen
August 4, 2017
iPads will be distributed during New Student Orientation
We are very excited to kick off our iPad 1:1 Program for the 2017-2018 school year.
How did we get here?
In 2015, St. Lucy’s Priory High school began asking the question: How can we further utilize technology in our classrooms to enhance our students learning and better prepare them for college and the workforce. We began researching 1:1 technology programs. How are schools using them? What makes these programs a success? How can we incorporate technology to take our school into the modern climate developing the skills necessary to compete in university and the job market?
We researched successful programs around the United States in other countries around the world. We spoke with and toured many of these programs. We looked at several different mobile devices and computers. All of this research led us to a decision to place iPads in the hands of every student.
We began developing a rigorous program for our staff, faculty and students. We brought the iPads to the teachers for the 2016-2017 school year and began the process of exploring how the devices can be used to enhance the learning environment of the classroom.
Some of the core objectives of this program are to:
- Replace textbooks and other printed materials
- Provide an organized note-taking platform
- Provide an online research tool
- Provide a platform to facilitate individual and group work
- Provide access to a learning management system for managing homework, class assignments, quizzes and tests
- Provide a platform for video or audio learning
- Provide a platform to access library and academic resources in order to build digital literacy skills in students
Benefits of 1:1 iPad Program:
- Instant access to up-to-date information and current events as well as digital books and multimedia resources anytime and anywhere
- Students have powerful and versatile tools to gather, create, manipulate, and collaborate in their school work.
- Teachers have an extensive toolbox of resources in order to develop lessons and materials.
- Students foster critical thinking skills to do research that encourages proactive learning
- Students strengthen communication skills and literacy
- Individualize learning tool
- Prepare students for college work
- Expand students' working knowledge of effective methods to problem solve and complete tasks
- Assessments, record-keeping, and communication are more transparent, more current, and more comprehensive. Not only is the iPad a formidable tool in advancing learning, but it has the potential of transforming the classroom into a more dynamic and engaging experience for our students. St. Lucy’s Priory High School remains committed to providing its students with the best education possible, equipping them with the knowledge and tools they will need both now and in the future.