HISTORY AND TRADITION
St. Lucy’s Priory High School is a private four-year secondary scho ol for girls located at 655 West Sierra Madre A venue at the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in Glendora, California.The building was completed in 1963 and was formally dedicated February 2 , 1964, by Cardinal James McIntyre. Continuous growth of the student body has necessitated several renovations and additions.
The multipurpose gymnasium was completed in May of 1981 and additional classrooms were completed during the 1996 school year.
St. Lucy’s Priory High School is owned and operated by the Benedictine Sisters
who established their priory in Glendora, California, in 1952.
Since the founding of St. Lucy’s Priory High School, the staff of Benedictine Sisters and laywomen and men continues to give dedicated service to the students.
ORDER OF ST. BENEDICT
Benedictines were among the very first monastic communities in the Western World. St. Benedict founded the monastery of Monte Casino outside of Rome in the sixth century. The communities that followed him and his twin sister, St. Scholastica, have always tried to answer the needs of the local areas in which they lived. Benedictines have been missionaries, teachers, farmers, librarians, and musicians and have led lives of peace and prayer over the last fifteen hundred years. The communities came to the United States in the 1800’s to serve the growing immigrant populations of this nation. They continue to establish smaller communities to serve the needs of the local people and the Church.
St. Lucy’s Priory High School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, a regional accrediting association recognized by the California Office of Education and the National Commission of Accrediting. St. Lucy’s was first accredited in 1967 and is presently accredited through 2014. St. Lucy’s Priory High School is also accredited by the Western Catholic Educational Association. St. Lucy’s Priory High School is accredited by the Board of Admissions and Relations with Schools of the University of California.